Saturday, January 07, 2006

Lileks on the Crushing of Dissent

He notes something that I've noticed myself; the anti-war left is acting a lot like the anti-Clinton right did back in the 1990s. (I remember, I was there, and I was one of the nuts.)
The lunatic right went through this in the '90s. Bill Clinton, as it turned out, did not tie small children to railroad tracks in Mena, Ark., to cover up his worldwide cocaine-distribution syndicate. To Clinton's foes, however, it was true in the macro sense.

Somehow. It had to be. In the '90s these people were marginal cranks, and no one listened to them. Today they're on Air America. Nothing's changed, in other words.
Read the whole thing.

2 comments:

Robert said...

Flint, I did not equate the issues that are being nuttified about. I equated the behavior of the nuts.

Anonymous said...

The vitriolic anti-Clinton people were the actual first "Sore-Losermans." They could not take it that Reagan's Revolution was stopped in its tracks by a poor boy made good from Hope, Arkansas. They determined to destroy him in any way possible, and came damn close to doing so.
This put blood in the water and almost everything on the table for both sides to destroy the opposition. Rightwingers, look into your mirror.