Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Men's Shelters

Men get battered by abusive spouses and partners.

It isn't as common as women being battered, but it does happen.

One common theme in some "men's rights" activism is that the mean old feminists are making it impossible for there to be shelters for men.

By and large, I think this complaint is hooey. I addressed it in this long comment over at Alas.

Money graf:
If men want shelters, men need to build shelters. If that takes money, well, grant applications are difficult but not impossible. Grant writers don’t work free but plenty work at reasonable rates. Or you could fund a private shelter on a payback system, or fundraise from hippie comsymps like Hugo. Hell, I wouldn’t be averse to supporting the right men’s shelter, and as a good Republican I hate all non-victims for reminding me of my humanity. There are a lot of options. This is America. You’re free. Go do it.
There's more at the link.

1 comment:

mythago said...

So I'm not persuaded that only men should exhibit concern for battered men.

Me neither. But shouldn't men also exhibit concern for battered men? "You ladies do it" is not going to win anyone's hearts and minds.